საქართველოს პროკურატურამ ქოლ-ცენტრების მორიგი მასშტაბური დანაშაული გამოავლინა და ორგანიზებული ჯგუფის მიერ ჩადენილი თაღლითობის და ფულის გათეთრების ბრალდებით, ათი პირის მიმართ სისხლისსამართლებრივი დევნა დაიწყო
Russia loses 740 soldiers, one air defense system in war against Ukraine over past day
Border guards destroy 'Msta-S' self-propelled howitzer with drones in Southern Slobozhanshchyna sector
USF strikes 240 targets in Russian rear over 48 days
Poland may take part in Board of Peace only as observer, Tusk says
Ukraine’s forces stop Russian advance on Lyman front using night FPV drones
Ignat denies reports of foreign F-16 pilots operating in Ukraine
Zelensky says Ukrainians won’t let him hand Donbas over to Russia

Israel kicks off “limited” ground offensive against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon

01.10.2024 ნახვები: 553

Israel has launched a new phase of the war against Hezbollah as the Israeli Defense Forces went for a ground incursion into southern Lebanon.

That’s according to the IDF press service, Ukrinform reports citing CNN.

"The IDF began a few hours ago a targeted and limited ground operation in the area of southern Lebanon against terrorist targets and infrastructures of the terrorist organization Hezbollah, in a number of villages near the border, which pose an immediate and real threat to Israeli settlements on the northern border," reads the statement issued early Tuesday local time.

Earlier, according to The Times of Israel, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant told mayors of northern cities that "the next phase of the war against Hezbollah will begin soon".

“It will be a significant factor in changing the security situation and will allow us to complete the important [mission] of returning the residents to their homes,” he said.

According to the Israeli military, the head of the Northern Command, Major General Ori Gordin, recently approved tactical battle plans with officers who would be involved in the ground operation.

Read also: Israel creates closed military zone near border with Lebanon

As noted, on Monday evening the Lebanese troops withdrew at least five kilometers away from the border.

Towards midnight, reports appeared on social platforms and in some Arab media that Israeli units had already crossed the border.

Israeli media indicate that given the pressure from the U.S., the ground operation will be limited in scope and aimed at dismantling Hezbollah’s elite Radwan unit in the border region, but not at holding the territory for a long period of time.

After the fighting ends, the IDF will have to enforce the ceasefire agreement and prevent Hezbollah from re-establishing its presence near Israeli border towns.

Read also: Ukraine abstains as UNGA demands that Israel leave occupied territories

The U.S. Department of State said Israel is "currently conducting" limited operations targeting Hezbollah.

As Ukrinform reported earlier, Israel was preparing a limited incursion into the southern part of Lebanon, where the pro-Iranian Hezbollah group is based.

Archival photo

ყველას ნახვა
ყველას ნახვა
ყველას ნახვა